Portsmouth, VA Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents can cause serious, life-changing injuries. Often, drivers cause accidents because they’re distracted, drunk, or simply in a rush. When you get hurt because another driver is negligent, you deserve compensation. Hiring our experienced Portsmouth car accident attorneys can help you maximize your recovery. We’re leaders in Virginia car accident litigation who have secured some of the state’s top car accident verdicts and settlements.
On This Page
- An Experienced Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer
- Why Work with a Car Accident Lawyer After Your Accident in Portsmouth, VA?
- Meet the Award-Winning Team at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
- Decades of Experience Handling All Types of Car Accident Cases in Portsmouth
- Working with a Car Accident Lawyer in Portsmouth Increases Your Chances of Recovering Damages
- A Portsmouth Car Accident Attorney Can Help You Prove Fault
- FAQs About Car Accidents in Portsmouth, VA
- Let a Skilled Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer Fight For You
An Experienced Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are a leading cause of injury and death in Portsmouth, Virginia. If you’ve recently suffered injuries or lost a close family member in a Portsmouth crash, don’t hesitate to call Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers for help. Our experienced Portsmouth car accident lawyers can help you fight to recover maximum compensation for your medical bills, property damage, lost wages, emotional distress, and other damages.
Since 2011, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers has been a fierce advocate for Portsmouth crash victims and families whose lives have been devastated by avoidable wrecks. We are award-winning Virginia trial attorneys with a proven ability to take on powerful insurance companies and help our clients achieve maximum results.
We’re Virginia’s car crash experts and have recovered tens of millions in settlements and jury awards—including the top car accident settlement in the state in 2022
Contact our law office in Portsmouth, VA, to put our top-rated legal team on your case. Your first consultation is free.
Why Work with a Car Accident Lawyer After Your Accident in Portsmouth, VA?
Hiring an attorney after a car accident in Portsmouth is one of the best decisions you can make. Statistically speaking, you’re more likely to win your case. You’re also more likely to recover a higher payout. Studies have shown that those with representation get up to 3.5 times more than those who take on insurers alone.
When you enlist the help of a legal advocate, you force the insurance company to take your claim seriously. When you hire Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, you show them you’re not walking away with a penny less than your case is worth.
Our team takes a detailed and comprehensive approach to litigation, which includes the following:
- A thorough investigation of your car accident to determine why it happened, how it could have been avoided, and who is at fault
- Careful analysis of medical records, crash reports, property damage, forensic evidence, black box data from larger vehicles, video footage, photographs, and other evidence related to your case
- Finding and interviewing eyewitnesses to the crash and other parties who might have relevant information
- Working closely with respected medical professionals, mechanics, forensic specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, and other car accident experts
- Defending you against likely claims of shared fault that could stop your pursuit of damages in its tracks
- Aggressively working to secure a top-dollar settlement during negotiations with the insurance provider and other parties
- Advocating for you at trial if the insurer refuses to accept responsibility for your crash-related damages
You have one opportunity to recover compensation after your auto accident in Portsmouth. Our highly skilled legal team is ready to help you make the most of it. Call our Portsmouth law office to get started with a free consultation now.
Meet the Award-Winning Team at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
Your choice of attorney matters. In fact, it could be the difference between getting a nominal payout and recovering a life-changing settlement or verdict at trial.
Here are some reasons why you won’t want to delay calling Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers for help with your car accident case:
- We’re highly skilled litigators who have successfully handled hundreds of jury trials.
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is the first law firm in Virginia with access to video footage from 978 traffic cameras throughout the state. If there is footage of your accident, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers’ Crash Cam may have the critical evidence needed to win your case.
- Our law firm has forced insurance companies and other powerful adversaries to pay tens of millions in compensation to clients like you.
- We regularly help our clients win top results—including the largest reported car accident recovery in 2020 and the second-highest car accident verdict in Virginia in 2022.
- Founding partner John Cooper has handled complex car accident cases for over 30 years.
- Our hard work and dedication to our clients have earned us top honors in the legal industry, including Super Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Attorneys, members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum members, and Top Lawyers by Coastal Virginia Magazine.
- We’re highly rated by peers and former clients, as evidenced by our Superb rating on Avvo and our Martindale Hubbell AV rating.
- Our law firm never represents insurance companies—only crash victims and grieving families.
- There’s absolutely no cost to hire our Portsmouth car accident law firm unless we win your case.
Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is home to Virginia’s car accident experts. When you choose us, you set yourself up for the financial victory you deserve after a devastating crash. Call our law office to begin your journey with a free consultation.
We’ve Won Some of the Highest Verdicts and Settlements in Virginia
Experience and past results matter when deciding which law firm to hire after a crash in Portsmouth. At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, we have a proven ability to help our clients achieve top results time and again.
In fact, our attorneys have secured some of the top car accident payouts in Virginia. Some notable results include the following:
- $6.5 million settlement for a client left quadriplegic by a three-car collision
- $4.725 million settlement for a young girl catastrophically injured in a crash
- $2.86 million recovery in a drunk driving accident case
- $2.46 million verdict for a client catastrophically injured in a wreck
- $1.5 million recovery for a family injured in a T-bone accident
- $1.2 million recovery in a rear-end collision case
- $1 million drunk driving accident recovery
Benefit from our experience and winning litigation strategies. Reach out to our law office in Portsmouth to discuss the details of your car accident case today.
Decades of Experience Handling All Types of Car Accident Cases in Portsmouth
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, we represent clients who have sustained injuries in the following types of motor vehicle accidents:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- T-Bone accidents
- Single vehicle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Hit and run car accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Speeding accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Accidents with uninsured drivers
- Fatal car accidents
Put our experience and knowledge of Virginia’s car accident laws to work for you. Call us to discuss the specific details of your case today.
Working with a Car Accident Lawyer in Portsmouth Increases Your Chances of Recovering Damages
Following a car accident in Portsmouth, Virginia, crash victims can pursue compensation for their injuries, costs, and suffering. These damages fall into two distinct categories: economic and non-economic. Collectively, these are known as compensatory damages.
Economic damages offset the monetary costs and financial burdens related to a crash, including the following:
- Hospitalization, surgery, and other current medical bills
- Future medical treatment
- Nursing assistance
- Lost wages and income
- Property damage
- Funeral expenses
Non-economic damages aim to make up for the consequences of an accident that aren’t easily valued. They’re much more subjective and can vary considerably from one case to the next. This can include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of consortium
- Reduced quality of life
When car accident lawsuits go to trial, there is the potential to recover punitive damages, as well. Punitive damages are limited to $350,000 and are only available when convincing evidence of a defendant’s intentionally harmful or grossly negligent conduct exists.
The insurance company will work hard to downplay your injuries and dictate the terms of your case. Our law firm won’t let them. As we work on your case, we’ll consult with respected experts and specialists to provide critical insight and guidance.
These experts can help us understand the more complicated aspects of your case, support your claim for specific damages, and fight to force a more substantial settlement during negotiations. If your case goes to trial, the experts can testify on your behalf and help to convince a jury that you deserve to be compensated in full for your crash-related suffering.
A Portsmouth Car Accident Attorney Can Help You Prove Fault
Under Virginia law, you must prove that another party or parties were entirely at fault for your car accident. Fault is typically established by proving negligence. Negligence means that another person failed to act reasonably under the circumstances and, in turn, caused you to get hurt or suffer the death of a family member.
To prove negligence, you’ll have to prove the following four different elements:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty of care, such as obeying traffic laws and exercising caution
- Breach: the defendant breached this duty of care by doing things like texting and driving or speeding, etc.
- Causation: the defendant’s actions were the direct and proximate cause of your accident, meaning it would not have happened but for the defendant’s conduct
- Damages: you’ve suffered identifiable damages as a result, including medical expenses, lost wages, PTSD, and pain and suffering
In Virginia civil claims, fault must be proven by a preponderance of the evidence. This means a jury or factfinder must believe that your side of the story is more likely true than not.
You’ll need persuasive evidence and facts to make this happen. Helpful evidence can include the following:
- Photographs of the scene of the accident, resulting injuries, and property damage
- Video recordings of the accident from dashcams, red light cameras, and surveillance cameras
- Damage to vehicles and physical property
- Accident reports
- Medical records
- Eye-witness statements and testimony
- Toxicology reports
- Driver communication records
- Black box data from auto accidents involving commercial vehicles
- Expert testimony
Our award-winning Portsmouth, Virginia, personal injury lawyers have extensive experience building strong and persuasive claims to clearly establish fault. Put our experience to work for you. Call our skilled legal team to schedule your free case assessment now.
We Will Negotiate with Insurance Companies on Your Behalf
The insurance company might seem sympathetic, but it won’t have your best interests at heart. The adjuster will work hard to find a way to deny your claim or minimize the seriousness of your injuries.
Our attorneys will shield you from their manipulative tactics by handling all conversations and settlement negotiations on your behalf.
Facing Trial? Work with an Experienced Trial Attorney
You can expedite the claims process by enlisting the help of a respected and successful trial attorney. Why? It’ll send a clear message to the insurer that you’re serious about getting the compensation you deserve.
Hiring a skilled litigator can force the insurance company to take your case more seriously and extend a more meaningful settlement offer. They’ll know that the threat of litigation looms ahead, and the last thing they’ll want is a showdown in court with a highly-seasoned and successful trial lawyer.
FAQs About Car Accidents in Portsmouth, VA
Car accidents are complicated. The claims process can be challenging. You probably have a million questions about your crash, rights, and case. Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers has the answers you need.
Is Virginia a No-Fault Insurance State?
No. Virginia is a tort-based or at-fault insurance state. As a result, you can seek damages directly from the at-fault party and their insurance company.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim in Portsmouth, VA?
Virginia has a two-year statute of limitations for most car accident lawsuits. You will have two years from your accident date or a family member’s wrongful death to file a legal claim for damages.
You must file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires. Once the deadline passes, you lose the opportunity to take legal action and recover the compensation you deserve.
What Is Duty of Care?
In exchange for the privilege of driving on public roads, motorists must avoid actions that may put others on the road at risk of harm. This duty of care extends to other drivers, pedestrians, bike riders, and passengers.
This duty forms the basis of claims alleging negligence after accidents. If an injured party can demonstrate that a defendant’s poor driving breached this duty of care, that motorist may be liable to compensate the plaintiff for any losses. A Portsmouth, VA, attorney can review a car accident case to determine if a motorist breached the duty of care.
How Does a Traffic Ticket Impact a Portsmouth Car Accident Claim?
Many traffic collisions result in a police officer issuing a ticket to the party who they deem to be at fault. However, these drivers have the legal right to contest these tickets in traffic court. The outcome of these cases could substantially affect a person’s claim for damages.
A conviction in traffic court, or an admission of guilt, is direct evidence of fault for a crash. Civil courts will use a traffic offense conviction as evidence of per se negligence and presume a defendant liable for an accident. A Portsmouth, VA, attorney can leverage a traffic ticket as evidence in a civil car wreck claim for damages.
What Are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries in Portsmouth, VA?
Whether you’re involved in a rollover, rear-ended, hit head-on, or sideswiped in a parking lot, you can sustain serious and life-changing injuries in a Portsmouth traffic accident.
Commonly reported injuries include the following:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Soft tissue damage
- Joint injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Crushing injury
- Chest injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death
Make it a priority to get to the closest hospital in Portsmouth as soon as you can after your car accident. Not only will this help limit the potential for serious complications, but it will also support a future claim for damages.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Portsmouth, VA?
About 71 percent of these accidents resulted in an injury or death. That year, 1,104 people suffered injuries in Portsmouth auto accidents, while 12 were killed.
What are the Most Dangerous Intersections in Portsmouth, Virginia?
Accidents can and do happen just about anywhere in Portsmouth. However, some roads and intersections tend to be more dangerous than others.
One intersection—known as Alexander’s Corner—is particularly dangerous. The point where Airline Boulevard, McLean Street, Portsmouth Boulevard, and Turnpike Road connect has been called one of the “most confusing” and “harrowing” in the Newport Beach area.
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost in Portsmouth?
You pay nothing upfront and nothing out-of-pocket. Car accidents are expensive enough without the added cost of a lawyer. When you work with Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, there’s absolutely no cost unless we win your case. If you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid. End of story.
When we win, our fee simply comes out of your financial recovery. Call our law office in Portsmouth to learn more about our legal fees and discover the benefits of working with our acclaimed legal team.
What If the Car Accident Was My Fault?
You cannot recover compensation from a third party if you caused your Portsmouth car accident.
Virginia is a contributory negligence state, which means that sharing any degree of blame for a wreck is a complete bar to recovery.
This is one of the reasons it’s so important to hire an attorney after a Virginia car accident. The insurance company will not hesitate to point fingers and try to shift blame in your direction. If they’re successful, you will lose out on valuable compensation. Our Virginia car accident lawyers can help you defend yourself and fight back to protect your rights.
Let a Skilled Portsmouth Car Accident Lawyer Fight For You
You don’t have to deal with the aftermath of a Portsmouth car accident alone. Call Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers and enlist the help of our top-rated car accident attorneys in Portsmouth.
For more than two decades, our law firm has been a vocal and powerful ally to crash victims like you.
We’ve earned a reputation for being car accident experts because of our extensive experience, in-depth knowledge of Virginia car accident law, and proven ability to obtain top results.
Don’t settle for less than you deserve. Call our law office in Portsmouth, VA, to arrange a free consultation now.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.