Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer
On This Page
- Injury Law Is All We Do
- Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
- How Can a Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
- Common Causes and Locations of Auto Accidents in Norfolk
- What Types of Damages Can A Norfolk Injury Lawyer Help Me Recover?
- Maximizing Your Recovery for Your Serious Injury
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact a Norfolk Personal Injury Attorney
Accidents can have devastating results on victims and their families. Painful injuries often prevent people from returning to work, leaving them with unpaid medical bills and other expenses. There’s also a mental and emotional toll, which can lead to long-term suffering. However, accident victims don’t have to go it alone.
When another person’s careless actions or negligence caused your accident, you deserve compensation for your losses. With skilled Norfolk personal injury lawyers on your side, you have experienced professionals fighting on your behalf to ensure you get the full amount you’re entitled to after an injury.
If you or a loved one was hurt in an accident in Norfolk, VA, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is ready to help. We represent victims of vehicle and pedestrian accidents, wrongful death, and other personal injury claims. We handle everything related to your case, including negotiating with insurance companies, filing documents, gathering evidence, and valuing your damages.
Injury Law Is All We Do
Unlike other law firms that handle different types of cases, we dedicate our entire practice to helping personal injury victims get justice. Helping injured people is all we do. With decades of experience in injury law and a track record of success for our clients in Norfolk, we set ourselves apart by maintaining a personalized approach to every case.
Our attorneys know how to secure the maximum compensation for our clients and are ready to help you through this difficult time. Partners John Cooper and Jim Hurley are award-winning personal injury attorneys recognized as Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia 2023 and honored with Virginia’s Super Lawyer designation.
Using our comprehensive knowledge of civil law and legal strategies, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers obtained Virginia’s largest single-car accident recovery in 2020 with a recovery of $6,500,000.
Experience and expertise matter in personal injury claims. Let us handle your case so you can focus on your recovery and get back on your feet. Get your free case evaluation now.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
A personal injury case is a legal claim a person makes after being injured by another person’s negligence. You may qualify for compensation when an individual’s careless or unreasonable actions lead to your injuries.
We have extensive experience representing victims dealing with the following:
Accident victims deserve monetary redress for their damages. Our team knows what steps to take to recover the full amount for your losses and ensures the insurance companies don’t intimidate you into accepting less than you deserve. Contact a personal injury or wrongful death lawyer in Norfolk to schedule a free consultation.
How Can a Norfolk Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Dealing with legal struggles while recovering from injuries can be overwhelming. Because personal injury claims are often complex, it’s easy for victims to make mistakes that will affect case results. Working with our skilled injury attorneys means you can leave the legal battle to professionals who understand the process.
Our Norfolk personal injury lawyers provide comprehensive representation, including handling of the following steps:
- Filing claims: You’ll never miss a deadline or skip crucial steps when our skilled team represents you and your family.
- Gathering evidence: We collect vital images, documentation, medical records, witness statements, and other evidence to support your claim.
- Proving fault: Our team carefully constructs your case to show the defendant had a legal duty, breached that duty, and caused the accident that resulted in damages.
- Assessing damages: It’s important to value your damages and ensure that all your losses are included in your legal claim.
- Negotiating settlements: After valuing your losses, we use expert negotiation skills to reach a fair settlement that covers your current and future damages.
- Providing guidance: Legal claims can be confusing. We’ll explain every step and provide expert guidance to help you decide how to proceed.
- Going to trial: We’re prepared to fight for you in court when the responsible party doesn’t agree to a fair settlement.
Insurance companies don’t look out for your best interests. They typically offer less than accident victims deserve. Adjusters will try to minimize your injuries to avoid an extensive payout. As your personal injury attorneys, we make sure that doesn’t happen. We’ll communicate with the insurance companies and take your case to trial if needed.
Common Causes and Locations of Auto Accidents in Norfolk
Norfolk is Virginia’s third most populous city, with about 130,000 licensed drivers. It is home to the world’s largest naval base, a major port city, and a popular tourist destination, bringing heavy tractor-trailer and passenger automobile traffic.
Since Norfolk borders many waterways, it has many unusual and dangerous traffic patterns, roadways, and tunnels. The major highways and roadways in Norfolk, Virginia, where commuters, tourists, and commercial drivers may encounter traffic accidents, include the following:
- Interstate 64 (I-64)
- Interstate 564 (I-564)
- Interstate 264 (I-264)
- Tidewater Drive
- Military Highway
- Hampton Blvd
- Terminal Blvd
- Little Creek Road
- Ocean View Ave
- Norview Avenue
- Brambleton Ave
- St Pauls Blvd
- Waterside Drive
- Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT)
- Midtown Tunnel
- Downtown Tunnel
In Norfolk, there are no substitutes for an attorney’s experience and a detailed investigation. Our lawyers have helped countless people injured by car accidents arising from the following situations:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Failing to observe a stop sign
- Running a red light
- Failing to yield the right of way to other motorists
- Failing to yield the right of way to pedestrians
- Following too closely
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Using a cellphone or texting while driving
- Failing to obey traffic signals
- Defective brakes and other faulty equipment
What Types of Damages Can A Norfolk Injury Lawyer Help Me Recover?
If someone has been injured due to another’s negligence through no fault of their own, they are entitled to payment for their harm and losses. The money usually comes from the different insurance companies involved. You are entitled to more than just money for your accident-related medical bills. You are entitled to payment for other harms and losses directly caused by an accident and your resulting injuries. Virginia law permits payment after a Norfolk accident for the following:
- Bodily injuries and their health effects: Broken bones, lacerations, head injuries, internal injuries, and other physical effects
- Physical pain and suffering: Aching bones and muscles, pain during physical therapy and recovery, and chronic pain from bodily injuries
- Mental anguish: Anxiety, depression, stress, phobias, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Disfigurement and deformity and any associated humiliation or embarrassment: Burn scars, missing limbs, nerve damage, facial scars, and paralysis
- Inconvenience: Attending regular doctor appointments, immobility, rehabilitation time, inability to perform daily tasks
- Past medical expenses: Cost of the ambulance ride, emergency room visit, hospital stays, medical tests, surgery, and other treatment
- Future medical expenses: Cost of physical therapy, medication, and ongoing medical care for catastrophic injuries
- Lost earnings or wage loss: Income lost while recovering from injuries
- Loss of earning capacity: Inability to return to the same job or continue on your career path due to the accident
Maximizing Your Recovery for Your Serious Injury
Frequently Asked Questions
What Must You Prove in a Personal Injury Case to Succeed in Norfolk, VA?
A Norfolk personal injury case is an insurance claim or lawsuit brought by an injured person against another person or business. If a person or business acts with negligence that results in injuries to another, the victim may bring a claim for payment. To have a successful Norfolk personal injury claim, you must prove the following elements:
- The person or business causing the injury must have a duty of care.
- The person or business violated that duty of care through negligence, carelessness, recklessness, or intentional conduct.
- That violation of that duty resulted in personal injuries, harm, and other losses.
When Should I Start the Accident Investigation Process?
A prompt and thorough investigation is critical to a successful personal injury case, even when the other driver’s fault seems obvious. An immediate investigation will not only help prove fault but also preserve evidence relevant to the extent of your injuries and the accident’s severity.
Should You Handle an Injury Case Yourself Directly With a Car Insurance Company?
It is advisable to consult a Norfolk car accident lawyer or Norfolk motorcycle accident lawyer before talking to the insurance company. While there are minor accidents with minimal injuries that a person can handle on their own, consider hiring an experienced lawyer if your injuries are more extensive.
Contact a Norfolk Personal Injury Attorney
After suffering injuries in an accident caused by someone else, you are likely dealing with physical pain, inconvenience, mental anguish, medical expenses, lost time from work, and general disruption to your life. Our Norfolk personal injury lawyers can help you get your life back on track with compensation for the harm you’ve endured.
Our caring, skilled, and experienced lawyers can evaluate your situation and discuss your legal options. We can help you protect your rights and pursue the recovery you deserve. We are familiar with local courts, and we are experienced with cases just like yours. Contact Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers to get your free case evaluation now.
— By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.