Get the answers you need now
Brain Injury, Railroad Injury, Wrongful Death & Other Serious Injuries
Virginia Beach Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury is a term that covers many areas of the law and applies to many different types of injuries. If you were injured in an accident that was caused by the actions of another, you have rights. When you are hurt because of another person’s negligence, our personal injury attorneys will fight for you. We help people throughout Hampton Roads get justice for their injuries. We have meeting locations in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth, Hampton, Suffolk, Chesapeake, and the Eastern Shore. We would fight tirelessly to get you the compensation you need to recover financially and physically. If you are wondering what to do after a serious personal injury, speak to Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. Our Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers want to help.
Virginia Beach Car Crashes
The most common personal injury claims in Virginia Beach relate to car crashes. Virginia Beach has the largest population of all the cities in Hampton Roads. The large population alone gives rise to a significant number of car crashes. Unfortunately, some Virginia Beach intersections are common sites for accidents. The most notorious of these intersections include:
- Kempsville Road and Indian River Road – a combination of commercial businesses, neighborhoods and schools make this a heavily trafficked intersection. The intersection serves many students from Regent University and Tallwood High School, as well as residents of Lake Christopher neighborhood.
- Virginia Beach Boulevard and First Colonial Road – this intersections proximity to the popular Hilltop Shopping Center and Naval Air Station – Oceana alone make it well-traveled. Its heavy traffic is significantly increased by the entry and exit ramps to Interstate 264.
- Independence Boulevard and Virginia Beach Boulevard – this 28 lane intersection serving the Town Center area of Virginia Beach is a frequent site for accidents. Between the restaurants of Town Center, Wegman’s food market, Wal-Mart and Pembroke Square, this intersection regularly traveled by shoppers coming and going to the area.
In addition to its large population, Virginia Beach welcomes tens of thousands of visitors each summer to enjoy its beautiful beach, expansive boardwalk and oceanfront hotels. Travelers who are unfamiliar with Virginia Beach’s oceanfront access roadways, like Interstate 264, Laskin Road, Norfolk Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, present an increased risk of traffic accidents. Parking challenges at the oceanfront during tourist season can lead to drivers making quick and unexpected maneuvers to secure a long sought after parking space.
Proving Fault After an Accident
To collect any compensation following an injury, it is necessary to prove that another party was entirely responsible for the incident. In fact, under the legal principle of contributory negligence, a claimant cannot financially recover for personal injuries if they were in any way at fault in causing the accident.
Our Virginia Beach lawyers are dedicated to gathering all necessary evidence of fault in a personal injury claim to help our clients prove that an accident was the fault of another person. Some examples of this evidence include:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Video footage of the incident
- Police body cameras
- Toxicology reports
Given our extensive experience handling Virginia Beach personal injury claims, we are familiar with handling cases in the Virginia Beach Circuit Court and Virginia Beach General District Court. We are also active members of our communities, including Virginia Beach, which gives us first-hand knowledge about the roadways where accidents happen. Whether you were involved in an accident on Princess Anne Road in Pungo, Virginia Beach Boulevard in Town Center, or Great Neck Road in the Great Neck corridor, we likely have personal experience with the area at which you suffered your personal injury.
Potential Compensation Following an Act of Negligence
Parties who are at fault for another person’s injuries must provide full compensation. Compensation is generally made on behalf of the at-fault person by an insurance company. Our Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers can help you evaluate all of your damages to assist in determining how much compensation should be requested and fought for.
There are several different types of damages that can be claimed in a personal injury case. The most common damages in a Virginia Beach personal injury claim include:
- Medical Bills – after an injury, many people require emergency care at a hospital. Virginia Beach has two critical care hospitals – Sentara Princess Anne Hospital and Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital – that regularly provide care to those injured in accidents. Bills for emergency room care, and any follow-up care thereafter, are a central item of damages claimed in a personal injury case.
- Lost Wages – unfortunately, people who are injured in an accident regularly are required to miss work for some period of time. An at-fault individual is required to cover any lost earnings from work as a result of their negligence.
- Pain and Suffering – with injury comes pain. While perhaps harder to value than medical bills or lost wages, it is really the aspect of a Virginia Beach injury case that is most personal to the injured person.
- Inconvenience – perhaps your injury forced you to miss out on your monthly runs at Mount Trashmore or family walks in Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Suffering an injury is inconvenient, and is as aspect of personal injury that requires compensation.
Valuing a personal injury claim is difficult. Our Virginia Beach lawyers have extensive experience negotiating personal injury claims with insurance companies or, if needed, taking a case to court for resolution and fair compensation.
Is there a Time Limit on a Personal Injury Case?
It is important to note that there is a limited time to take legal action after any incident. Under the Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, many people have only two years from the date of an incident to demand compensation from at-fault parties. This applies to most personal injury cases such as car accidents or slips and falls.
However, claimants should be aware that this time limit is not universal. For example, claims that demand compensation from government entities for accidental injuries must often proceed in a far shorter timeframe. A Virginia Beach lawyer could help pursue a personal injury case within the applicable statute of limitations.
Rita Shares Her Experience Working With Attorney Griff O’Hanlon
Lawyers with Experience
Our lawyers handle claims and personal injury lawsuits that people bring against those who are responsible for their losses. These claims involve asking for money for the pain and suffering that the accident left behind. This may sound scary or stressful, but a skilled attorney stands by your side every step of the way.
- We offer individualized & outstanding customer service
- We have the resources & experience to take on large insurance companies
- All we do is personal injury, and we never represent insurance companies
- We get results, including many millions recovered for thousands of victims
- Our initial consultations are free, and there’s no fee unless we win
- We know Virginia Beach and what is important to its resident
Important First Steps After Being Injured
Call the Police
Not only is this required by law, but the police officer will write a report saying what happened. This report may have important information, like the other guy was issued a ticket for poor driving or even said that he caused the accident.
Get Medical Help
If you or anyone in your family is injured, it’s crucial to get medical treatment. The most important thing in any motor vehicle accident is to take care of the injuries of you and your family.
Call a Lawyer
A local personal injury lawyer can provide a free case evaluation. When you hire us, we’ll help you avoid saying anything that would hurt your case and fight for your best possible outcome. Plus, there’s no fee unless we win.
If you were in an accident, the other person’s insurance company will do everything they can to avoid paying a claim. They may try to get you to say you were responsible or that you do not have the injuries you are claiming. The best way to avoid being taken advantage of after an accident is to have a Virginia Beach personal injury attorney on your side who knows the tricks insurance companies will try to pull. We can take the stress out of the process for you.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Virginia Beach
Meet Our Attorneys
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, injury law is all we do. The attorneys at our personal injury law firm are here to guide you through every step of your case and provide you with dependable legal strategies so you can focus on recovering.
Access our free resources
Get the information you need to make the best decisions about your case.
When you’re ready to talk to our injury team, give us call.
Tune in to hear experienced attorneys share information you should know before you talk to the insurance company.
Get Instant Access
In this free, 8-page report, discover five sneaky tactics insurance companies use to pay you less than you deserve.
Request a FREE Copy
Learn what to do, when to get help, and how to deal with the insurance agencies in this free, tell-all book.
Speak with a Virginia Beach
Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury cases can come from a lot of situations. The most common examples are cases from:
- Car accidents — Car crashes can range from common rear-end collisions to deadly intersection wrecks
- Truck accidents — Virginia’s ports and highways such as I-95, I-81 and I-64 are major traffic hubs with a lot of big rigs
- Motorcycle accidents — The downside of the thrill of riding on the open road is a large number of accidents and injuries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) — TBIs can require expensive, life-long medical care that you should not have to try to afford alone
- Railroad accidents — Railroad employees have a right to sue for railroad accident injuries that happen at work
- Wrongful death — If a loved one dies because of the actions of another, we are here to help you through this tragic time
In all of these cases, you do not have to say the other person meant to hurt you. Instead, you have to prove that they were careless, which caused your injuries. This may seem hard, but a local injury attorney can help. Our Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers can handle the legal work so you can focus on getting better while knowing your case is in good hands.
Virginia Beach, VA
200 Kellam Rd
Virginia Beach, VA
125 St Pauls Blvd
512 Albemarle Dr
Chesapeake , VA
50 W Queens Way
Hampton , VA
Newport News, VA
13195 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA
215 Market St
355 Crawford St
Eastern Shore, VA
3443 Virginia Ave
Virginia Beach, VA (Birdneck)
1206 Laskin Road
VIrginia Beach , VA
Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
Hurt in an accident? Schedule a free consultation with the award-winning Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers at Cooper Hurley today.