Norfolk Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Cyclists are exposed to all elements of the road and do not have the protection of advanced vehicle safety features. Unfortunately, the consequences of a bike crash can be devastating. Bicycle accidents often result in serious injuries and substantial losses for victims and their families. Painful injuries and long recovery periods can mean expensive medical bills, lost income, and mental and emotional suffering. However, bike accident victims have legal options to claim compensation for their losses.
If you were injured while riding your bike, a Norfolk bicycle accident lawyer from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers can help you seek the financial support you need and deserve. We will not let the insurance companies unfairly minimize or deny your claim. With decades of experience handling bicycle accident cases, we have the knowledge and skills to fight for justice. Contact us to schedule a free consultation.
On This Page
- Why Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
- Virginia Cycling Laws
- Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents
- Damages Available in a Bicycle Accident
- What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
- Common Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents
- Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- How a Norfolk Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Why Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
A Virginia bicycle accident can be overwhelming. Accident victims may have questions about their rights and how to proceed with legal action while also dealing with severe injuries. At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, we understand these struggles and provide comprehensive legal services to help you through this difficult time.
When you work with our trusted Norfolk bicycle accident attorneys, you get the following:
- An award-winning team of lawyers recognized as Super Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Attorneys, members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum members, Top Lawyers by Coastal Virginia Magazine, and more
- More than 120 years of combined experience in personal injury law
- The resources to take on big insurance companies who try to pay less than your claim is worth
- Skilled legal professionals who have recovered millions of dollars for clients
- A free initial consultation and no fees unless we win your case
In 2020, the Car Crash Experts of Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers secured $6.5 million for a single-car accident victim—the largest reported recovery in Virginia. Our successful case results reflect our dedication to clients and passion for helping accident victims.
Schedule a free case evaluation with a Norfolk personal injury lawyer today to see how we can assist you with your claim.
Virginia Cycling Laws
There are several Virginia laws and local Norfolk regulations designed to keep cyclists and others safe on the roads, including:
- Va. Code Ann. §46.2-808: This law prohibits bicycle riders from accessing Virginia highways.
- Va. Code Ann. §46.2-839: Vehicle drivers must allow at least three feet between them and a cyclist if passing a bicycle.
- Va. Code Ann. §46.2-904: Bicyclists must yield the right of way to pedestrians and give audible signals before passing them.
- Va. Code Ann. §46.2-905: All cyclists must ride as close as possible to the right curb or roadway edge unless passing a vehicle, making a left turn, or other exceptions.
- Va. Code Ann. §46.2-907: Cyclists may not ride between two lanes of traffic unless one of the lanes is a separate or mandatory turn lane.
Although Va. Code Ann. §46.2-903 allows bicycles on sidewalks in Virginia, Norfolk has local restrictions prohibiting bike riding on the sidewalk in some areas. According to Norfolk, Virginia, Municipal Code §25-398, cyclists cannot ride their bikes in the Downtown Service District or any pedestrian or commercial overlay district.
Because bicycle laws can be complex, working with an experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and navigate your legal options. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with a Norfolk car accident lawyer today.
Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents
Under Virginia law, bicycle accident victims have two years from the accident date to bring a legal claim for compensation. After the time limit expires, you forfeit your right to take legal action.
With such a short timeframe to file your lawsuit, starting the process as soon as possible is important. Schedule a no-obligation evaluation with Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers to see if you have a case.
Damages Available in a Bicycle Accident
Victims of bike crashes often sustain significant damages from accidents. While there are financial losses from the crash, victims also experience physical pain, emotional suffering, and other non-economic difficulties that affect their lives.
In Virginia, you can recover the following damages after a bicycle accident:
- Current medical bills
- Future cost of medical care and rehabilitation
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages, when applicable
Family members of fatal bicycle accident victims can also take legal action to recover these damages and other losses, including funeral and burial costs. Although nothing can undo what happened, our wrongful death attorneys will hold the responsible person accountable and help you seek the financial compensation you need to support yourself and your family.
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you are involved in a bike accident, it is important to prioritize your safety immediately following the crash. You can also take several important steps to improve your chances of a successful legal claim.
Here’s what to do after a bicycle accident:
- Move to a safe location away from moving cars and traffic.
- Call for immediate medical attention for yourself and any others who may be injured.
- File a police report for official documentation of the crash.
- Contact your insurance provider to inform them of the accident.
- If possible, gather information and document the accident scene, including taking photographs or videos and noting property damage, injuries, and road conditions.
- Follow through with all medical advice and treatments.
- Consult an experienced Norfolk bicycle accident lawyer.
Common Injuries Caused by Bicycle Accidents
Bike accidents can cause injuries ranging from mild to severe, including the following:
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations
- Road rash or burns
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries that may result in paralysis
- Dislocated joints
- Internal organ damage
A Norfolk bicycle accident attorney with Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers can help you get the medical care and financial support you need to get back on your feet. Call for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- Failure to yield
- Improper lane change
- Avoiding other vehicles
- Avoiding pedestrians
- Following too closely
- Improper passing
- Improper turning
- Failure to follow traffic signals or signage
- Distracted driving
How a Norfolk Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Our Norfolk bike accident attorneys are passionate about helping victims secure the maximum amount for their injuries and suffering. Our comprehensive legal services include:
- Providing legal guidance and advocacy throughout the legal process
- Conducting a thorough investigation to gather crucial evidence
- Consulting with accident reconstructionists and medical professionals to build your case
- Identifying and valuing your damages to include in your claim
- Communicating and negotiating with insurance companies
- Securing a fair settlement or taking your case to trial
Don’t let the insurance adjusters intimidate you into accepting less than you deserve. Contact us to see how we can help you pursue fair compensation.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.