Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyer
If you’re struggling with painful and debilitating injuries after a crash, our Virginia Beach car accident lawyers can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We won millions for crash victims in Virginia Beach, including the top result in a car accident case in 2020.
On This Page
- Hire a Legal Team Experienced in Virginia Beach Car Accidents
- Virginia Beach Car Accident Statistics
- What types of damages are available following a car accident in VA Beach?
- How can a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer help me?
- What’s my Virginia Beach car accident case worth?
- What causes most car accidents in Virginia Beach, VA?
- Who could be liable for my Virginia Beach car accident?
- Can I recover compensation if I get blamed for my Virginia Beach car accident?
- How long after a Virginia Beach car accident can I pursue compensation?
- Common Virginia Beach Car Accident Injuries
- We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases in Virginia Beach
- Hire a Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyer Who Will Fight for You
Have you been injured or lost a close family member in a car accident in Virginia Beach? You may have the right to recover compensation for your crash-related injuries, but the path to financial recovery isn’t always easy. Our experienced Virginia Beach car accident attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers can help you fight to maximize your award.
Since 2011, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers has been a source of strength and support for crash victims and families in Virginia Beach whose lives have been turned upside down. We’re award-winning, nationally-recognized trial attorneys with a proven ability to take on powerful auto insurance companies and win big for our clients.
Call our law office in Virginia Beach, VA, to set up a free consultation now.
Hire a Legal Team Experienced in Virginia Beach Car Accidents
While you might be entitled to compensation after a car accident in Virginia Beach, getting the money you deserve can be challenging.
At-fault parties won’t rush to accept fault or responsibility. The insurance company will try to manipulate you into accepting a lowball offer or pressure you to walk away with nothing.
Hiring an experienced Virginia Beach personal injury lawyer to represent you can make a world of difference.
But you don’t just need any attorney—you need Virginia Beach’s car accident experts.
Here are a few reasons why you should contact Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers for help after your Virginia Beach crash:
- Founding partner John Cooper has 30+ years of experience handling complex car accident litigation.
- Collectively, our top-rated car accident attorneys have 128 years of experience.
- We’ve won tens of millions of dollars (and counting) for deserving clients like you.
- We won the state’s largest reported car accident recovery in 2020, totaling $6.5 million.
- Our attorneys have been recognized as Super Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Attorneys, members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum members, and Top Lawyers by Coastal Virginia Magazine.
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is the first law firm in the state with access to video footage from 978 traffic cameras throughout the state. If there is footage of your accident, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers’ Crash Cam may have the critical evidence needed to win your case.
- You can’t beat our customer service and results, reflected in our attorneys’ AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and “Superb” rating on Avvo.
- We’re accomplished trial attorneys with hundreds of jury trials under our belts.
It’s our goal to provide the support and guidance you need during this difficult time and to help you secure a financial award that makes a genuine difference in your life for years to come.
Virginia Beach Car Accident Statistics
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, 5,805 car accidents were reported in the city of Virginia Beach in 2021.
That’s roughly 15 traffic accidents a day.
Many of these accidents have serious consequences for those involved. In 2021, 2,906 people were injured in Virginia Beach auto accidents. Another 34 were killed.
However, fatal car accidents seem to be on the rise in Virginia Beach. Fatalities increased by about 54 percent between 2019 and 2021.
What types of damages are available following a car accident in VA Beach?
The consequences of a car accident in Virginia Beach can affect every aspect of your life. You might experience physically debilitating and painful injuries. There’s a chance that you won’t be able to work temporarily or ever again.
The good news is that you can seek compensation for your suffering by filing an insurance claim and/or car accident lawsuit.
In Virginia, compensation awarded to crash victims falls into two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are awarded to make you financially whole and offset any monetary losses related to your car accident, such as:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost job opportunities
- Property damage
- Nursing care
Non-economic damages are awarded to compensate you for the inconvenience, trauma, and life changes you suffer because you were involved in a wreck.
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Emotional distress
There are also times when punitive damages—those awarded to punish the defendant—might be available. If you file a car accident lawsuit, punitive damages can be awarded if a jury finds that the defendant acted intentionally or with gross negligence. These are typically reserved for car accident cases involving extremely intoxicated drivers, hit-and-run collisions, or fatalities.
Our experienced Virginia Beach personal injury attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure you’re awarded compensation for all your crash-related costs and life changes.
How can a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer help me?
Your life became complicated the moment you were involved in a car accident. Hiring an attorney can help take the burden of a legal claim off of your shoulders, give you time to recover, and increase the odds of a meaningful financial recovery.
When you trust Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers with your Virginia Beach car accident case, we will:
- Provide prompt, easy-to-understand answers to questions related to your car accident case.
- Oversee a thorough investigation of the collision.
- Determine why the accident happened, how it could have been avoided, and who’s at fault
- Gather and analyze critical evidence, including accident reports, medical records, toxicology reports, driver cell phone data, black box data for crashes involving larger vehicles, video footage, photographs, damage to property and vehicles, and physical evidence from the scene.
- Find and interview witnesses who might have important information about your case.
- Consult with accident reconstructionists, forensic specialists, medical professionals, and other trusted car accident experts.
- Determine how to best defend you against claims of shared fault.
- Handle settlement negotiations with the insurance company and other parties.
We’re skilled negotiators, and we’ll work hard to secure a settlement offer that really represents what your Virginia Beach car accident case is worth. However, there are times when the insurance company won’t budge, and it can be necessary to take your case to the next level. Our litigators are accomplished trial attorneys who thrive in the courtroom. We’ve represented hundreds of clients at trial and will be ready to argue before a jury to get you the best result possible.
What’s my Virginia Beach car accident case worth?
While no two car accident cases are the same, the National Safety Council estimates that the average comprehensive cost of a car accident resulting in an evident injury in 2020 was $345,000. The average cost shoots up to $1.252 million for crashes resulting in a disabling injury.
Of course, these are just averages. The true value of your car accident claim will ultimately depend on your case’s specific facts and circumstances.
To get a sense of how much money you might be able to get after a car accident, consider these questions:
- How have your car accident injuries changed your life?
- Will those changes be short-lived or permanent?
- What types of injuries did you sustain in the crash?
- Will you require extensive medical treatment to recover from your injuries?
- How has the accident affected your earning capacity?
- How old were you at the time of the wreck?
- What steps did you take to mitigate your car accident injuries?
- Who’s liable, and what types of insurance benefits are available?
- Is contributory fault a factor?
The attorney you choose to represent you can also impact how much money you’re awarded after a Virginia Beach car crash.
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, our car accident attorneys in Virginia Beach have helped clients win millions in compensation, including several seven-figure results:
- $6.5 million car accident settlement
- $4.725 million car accident settlement
- $2.86 million drunk driving car accident settlement
- $1.5 million T-bone car accident settlement
- $1 million drunk driving car accident settlement
Our law firm is dedicated to holding insurance companies and responsible parties accountable for our clients’ pain and suffering. Our results are a testament to the work we do. Call our law office in Virginia Beach to discuss the details of your case and learn more about how you can work with our team.
What causes most car accidents in Virginia Beach, VA?
Negligence is the leading cause of traffic accidents in Virginia Beach. After all, it only takes one small mistake or lapse of judgment to cause a collision.
Some of the most common causes of Virginia Beach wrecks include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Fatigued driving
- Improper merging
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Rolling stops
- Speeding up to beat a red or yellow light at an intersection
- Negligent vehicle maintenance
- Unsafe passing
- Illegal turns
Defective vehicles (or vehicle components), road defects, hazardous weather conditions, and limited visibility can also contribute to auto accidents in and around Virginia Beach.
Who could be liable for my Virginia Beach car accident?
Virginia is an at-fault state, meaning you can seek compensation from the person (or parties) who caused your car accident.
More specifically, you’ll file a claim against their insurance company to recover benefits from their auto insurance policy. If the driver is uninsured or underinsured, you can file a claim with your insurance carrier to recover benefits from your uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage, which you’re legally required to carry in Virginia.
So whose insurance company could be liable for your car accident damages?
Ultimately, anyone who is directly or indirectly responsible for causing your car accident could be liable:
- Driver of a passenger vehicle
- Truck driver
- Bus driver
- Property owner
- Government agency responsible for designing the road or its maintenance
- Transportation company
- Employer of a negligent party
- Vehicle manufacturer
- Uber or Lyft driver
You can file a claim and seek benefits from the at-fault party’s insurer or potentially file a car accident lawsuit to hold them personally liable for the consequences of your wreck.
Can I recover compensation if I get blamed for my Virginia Beach car accident?
No. Virginia is one of a few states to follow a pure contributory negligence system. You cannot recover compensation from a liable third party when you share any responsibility for your car accident.
Don’t be surprised when negligent parties and insurance providers start pointing fingers at you. If they can avoid paying for your injuries, they will.
However, these fault allegations must be based on facts and evidence. Our car accident attorneys in Virginia Beach will anticipate these tactics and work hard to prevent them from impacting your ability to recover compensation.
How long after a Virginia Beach car accident can I pursue compensation?
Virginia’s statute of limitations for most car accident lawsuits is two years.
This gives you two years from the date of your car accident or a family member’s wrongful death to formally seek damages.
Don’t allow the statute of limitations to expire without taking action. Once the deadline passes, you’ll lose the right to file a claim and secure the compensation you deserve.
Common Virginia Beach Car Accident Injuries
Whether you’re driving in the passenger’s seat or riding in the back, the injuries you sustain in a car accident can change your life forever.
When someone else is to blame for those injuries, Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers will be there to help you fight to hold them accountable.
We represent car accident victims who have suffered:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken bones and fractures
- Chest injury
- Crushing injury
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage
- Severe burn injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Soft tissue damage
- Joint injury
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death of a spouse, child, or parent when a car accident in Virginia Beach is fatal
Get to the closest emergency room in Virginia Beach as soon as possible after a wreck. This simple step can make a world of difference for your health and the strength of a future claim for damages.
We Handle All Types of Car Accident Cases in Virginia Beach
There are thousands of car accidents in Virginia Beach yearly, but no two are the same. If you’re in an accident, it’s important to hire an attorney with extensive experience handling all types of car accident cases.
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, our litigators have successfully represented crash victims in cases involving:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Single vehicle accidents
- Chain-reaction collisions
- Hit-and-run car accidents
- Accidents involving Uber and Lyft drivers
- Accidents involving uninsured drivers
- Fatal car accidents
- Car and truck accidents
- Car and motorcycle accidents
- Car and pedestrian accidents
- Car and bicycle accidents
We have first-hand experience dealing with the challenges and issues unique to each type of car accident case. Benefit from our experience by contacting a member of our legal team today.
Hire a Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyer Who Will Fight for You
The insurance company doesn’t care about your story or your ability to move forward after your Virginia Beach car accident. You deserve someone who does, so Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers should be your first call after you get hurt.
We’re Virginia Beach’s car accident experts, and our team is ready to invest whatever time and resources necessary to get you the results you deserve.
Our award-winning Virginia Beach car accident lawyers have 128+ years of experience and have won millions for clients like you. Don’t hesitate to ask for our help.
We offer a free consultation; there’s no cost to hire our law firm unless we win your car accident case. If we don’t win, you don’t pay—end of story.
Contact our Virginia Beach law office today to discuss your legal rights and options.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
— By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.