Virginia Beach Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
A pedestrian accident can instantly change a person’s life. Such crashes often result in severe or catastrophic injuries that leave victims with permanent disabilities, chronic pain, medical bills, and lost career opportunities. However, with the right support, victims and their families can recover damages and rebuild their lives after a devastating pedestrian accident.
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers in Virginia Beach, our team offers comprehensive legal services to fight for the maximum award for your claim. If you or a loved one was hurt in a pedestrian accident, you deserve justice. Contact us to speak with a trusted Virginia Beach pedestrian accident lawyer today to learn more about your rights and legal options.
On This Page
- Why Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
- Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
- Damages Available in a Pedestrian Accident
- How Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
- Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accidents
- What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident
- How a Virginia Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You
- Rely on a Virginia Beach Pedestrian Accident Attorney From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
Why Hire a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
Known as The Car Crash Experts, our Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers have decades of experience helping victims of car accidents, including pedestrians. We know how difficult a pedestrian accident can be on families. That is why we have dedicated our practice to helping victims recover the full value of their damages.
Here are a few reasons to work with our trusted team of Virginia Beach pedestrian accident attorneys:
- We provide award-winning services from attorneys recognized as Super Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, Lawyers of Distinction, and Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia.
- Our lawyers have more than 120 years of combined experience.
- Our team has recovered tens of millions of dollars in damages for thousands of clients.
- We secured the largest reported recovery for a single-car accident in 2020—$6.5 million.
- We offer individualized representation and guidance.
- Our team has in-depth knowledge of Virginia Beach pedestrian laws.
We provide legal support throughout the claims process to help you make the most informed decisions. Schedule a consultation with a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer to see if you have a case and what your claim may be worth.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
A crash can be catastrophic for victims. Common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries that can cause paralysis
- Arm, shoulder, and leg injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations
- Sprains and bruising
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Loss of limb
- Crushing injuries
If you were a pedestrian hit by a car, truck, bike, or other vehicle, you can take legal action to claim compensation for your losses. Contact us to speak with a Virginia Beach truck accident lawyer, bike accident lawyer, or car accident attorney to learn how we can help you get the financial support you need.
Damages Available in a Pedestrian Accident
Under Virginia law, victims of pedestrian accidents are entitled to compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. You may qualify to recover the following damages after a pedestrian accident:
- Medical bills
- Cost of rehabilitation and future medical care
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- In some cases, punitive damages
If you lost a loved one to a pedestrian accident, you can bring a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages on behalf of your family member. You may also receive compensation for funeral expenses, burial costs, and other hardships caused by your tragic loss.
Insurance companies often use tactics to minimize accident victims’ losses and offer less than claims are worth. Our team has the resources to take on unfair insurance adjusters and negotiate a favorable settlement that accurately represents your losses.
How Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
Crashes involving pedestrians can happen for several reasons. Here are the major risk factors for car accidents that harm pedestrians:
- Alcohol use by drivers or pedestrians
- High vehicle speeds
- Roadway locations
- Time of day or night
- Distracted drivers
- Dangerous crosswalks
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 46 percent of crashes causing pedestrian deaths involved alcohol. Fatal pedestrian accidents were also more likely to happen in urban areas, on roadways where high speeds occur, and at night when visibility is poor. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data shows more than 60,000 pedestrians were injured and 7,388 killed in crashes in 2021.
Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accidents
Under Virginia law, personal injury victims have a time limit of two years to take legal action and claim compensation for damages. Known as the statute of limitations, this law states that the time to file a claim starts to run when the accident occurred. While the deadline has some exceptions, victims who miss it typically forfeit their rights to recover damages.
Working with a knowledgeable pedestrian accident attorney will help you stay on top of important deadlines and avoid common mistakes that could affect your case. Contact us for a free consultation today to learn more.
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Taking the right steps after a pedestrian accident can help you stay safe and put you in the best position to make a legal claim to cover your damages. Here’s what to do after a crash:
- Try to stay calm and assess injuries.
- If possible, move to a safe location away from moving traffic.
- Call for immediate medical assistance. Even if you feel fine at that moment, you may have injuries that are not yet apparent.
- Call the police. It’s crucial to have an official police report as documentation of the incident.
- Get as much information as possible from the driver, including contact info and insurance details.
- Gather evidence or ask people with you to take pictures or videos of the accident site, property damage, and injuries.
- Inform your insurance company of the accident.
- Follow through with all medical care and treatments to ensure you are on track to recover and have documentation of your progress.
- Consult an experienced Virginia Beach pedestrian accident lawyer to understand your legal options.
Contact Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers today to see how we can help you and your family after a pedestrian accident.
How a Virginia Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help You
A pedestrian accident attorney will provide support and advocacy as you navigate this complex road to recovery. Legal services you can expect from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers include:
- Conducting a complete investigation of what led to the accident
- Determining fault, collecting evidence, and building your case around that evidence
- Using proven legal strategies to put together a comprehensive claim for damages
- Filing all documents and necessary paperwork on your behalf
- Consulting medical professionals and accident reconstructionists to support your case
- Negotiating with the insurance companies to secure a favorable settlement
- Trying your case before a jury, when necessary
Rely on a Virginia Beach Pedestrian Accident Attorney From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one were hurt in a pedestrian accident, you do not have to go it alone. Our dedicated attorneys can help you fight for the financial compensation you need to cover your medical expenses and other losses.
Schedule a free case evaluation to speak with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Virginia Beach today.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
— By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.