Virginia Beach Dangerous Drugs Lawyer
New types of medications reach pharmacy shelves every year, and most of them help people with a wide range of ailments. However, in the rush to make money off of new drugs, some pharmaceutical companies fail to properly address dangerous side effects that cause serious harm to consumers. If you have experienced unexpected side effects from medications you’ve taken properly, as directed, you may be entitled to a settlement or court verdict.
Injury lawyers protect the rights of Virginians who have suffered from the effects of dangerous prescription drugs. If you think the medication you’ve taken has made you sick, our Virginia Beach dangerous drugs lawyer may be able to help you obtain compensation.
Potential Side Effects
People trust their physicians to prescribe medications that will help them rather than harm them. However, too often, the decisions of a health care provider constitute medical malpractice, and the consequences of prescribing harmful drugs can be devastating. Sometimes, it is not the doctor’s fault, as the big drug companies have pushed pills on the public without telling folks about the risks or the lack of safety testing. Medications recently found to be particularly dangerous, which should result in contact with a Virginia Beach dangerous drugs lawyer, include:
- Risperdal / Invega – antipsychotics linked to debilitating breast growth in young men.
- Actos (Pioglitazone) — Actos, a medication intended to treat Type 2 diabetes, has been found by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to cause bladder cancer. Other side effects include an increased risk of heart failure, bone fractures and liver failure. Consumer advocates warn that it should be taken only as a last resort.
- Zoloft— Zoloft is a controversial antidepressant that has been shown to cause weight gain, sexual dysfunction and even suicidal thoughts. It’s also very harmful to pregnant women and can lead to children’s birth defects.
- Fosamax — Fosamax is intended to treat osteoporosis, but it has been found to cause unexpected bone breaks, particularly in the legs of patients. Other side effects include osteonecrosis of the jaw, a condition sometimes known as “dead jaw syndrome.”
- Reglan (Metoclopramide) —Metoclopramide, marketed as Reglan, was developed to treat acid reflux disease. It has been linked to severe, involuntary body movements.
- Pradaxa — Pradaxa is a blood thinner used to prevent strokes in those for whom it is prescribed. The drug has been known to cause unstoppable bleeding as well as heart disease and heart attacks.
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) — A blood thinner which can cause uncontrollable bleeding, sometimes fatal.
- GranuFlo and NaturaLyte — Concentrates used for hemodialysis treatment for kidney failure. These drugs are linked to heart attacks and strokes.
- Testosterone (Low T) Supplements — Including Androgel, Androderm, Axirom, Bio-T-Gel, Delatestryl, Depo-Testosterone, Fortesta, Striant, Testim and Testope. Low T drugs address hormonal deficiencies in men caused by medical problems like endocrine tumors, hypogonadism or disruptive effects of chemotherapy, Low T drugs are now widely used among many men who have no medical need for testosterone replacement for lifestyle and vitality. They are linked to heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism and other serious side effects.
- Viagra (Sildenafil) — A popular drug used for erectile dysfunction in men that can cause Skin cancer. A 2014 study found that Viagra (Sildenafil) nearly doubles men’s risk of the deadly skin cancer melanoma. The drug’s label fails to warn about this potential side effect.
- Lipitor — Marketed by Pfizer for the treatment of high cholesterol and has been linked to Type 2 Diabetes.
- Propecia — Prescribed for the treatment of hair loss and marketed by Merck, who has had lawsuits by those who have taken the drug and have experienced depression and/or suicide.
- Zofran — Used to counter morning sickness in expectant mothers or those with severe nausea but can also cause potentially fatal irregular heart rhythms in babies. Zofran is marketed by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
- Benicar — Marketed by Forest Laboratories and Daiichi Sankyo for the treatment of high blood pressure but has been known to cause a serious intestinal condition called severe spruelike enteropathy and increased risk of cancer.
- Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics – Are linked to nerve damage, heart attack and aneurysms
- Talcum Powder – Is linked to ovarian cancer
These are only a few examples of drugs that have been subject to lawsuits for their harmful effects. Many new medications approved every year are subject to personal injury lawsuits as a result of the harm they cause patients.
Recalls of Unsafe Drug Prescriptions
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) oversees the safety of certain products including pharmaceuticals. For the fiscal year 2012, the FDA recalled more than 9,400 products including medical devices and prescription drugs. The large number of recalls underscores the danger to consumers from all sorts of pharmaceuticals and other items.
The side effects from unsafe medications can be severe, may include birth defects, and are even deadly in certain circumstances. If you have experienced a severe reaction to a medication, our law firm can help. We work with clients to get them compensation for the harms and losses they suffered as well as future damages.
Contacting a Virginia Beach Dangerous Drugs Lawyer
The side effects of ill-conceived prescription drugs can be severe and lifelong. Our Virginia Beach dangerous drugs lawyers provide legal services to people severely injured by dangerous drugs. Our goal is to get the best possible outcome on your behalf. You will not be billed until you receive compensation.