Virginia Beach Product Liability Lawyer
People are seriously hurt every day in accidents involving everything from using common household items to working with heavy industrial machinery. However, many people do not realize that defects in those products may render the manufacturer legally responsible for injuries. If you have been hurt in such an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries from the manufacturer, seller, or another party.
Virginia Beach product liability lawyers represent individuals who are suffering from the effects of an injury sustained when using a product as it was intended. Our accident lawyers work hard to improve the lives of our clients.
Filing a Product Liability Claim
Products liability law is a form of personal injury law that holds a manufacturer, distributor or a retail merchant responsible for your injuries. A manufacturer’s liability for a poorly designed or improperly made product applies to all types of products, including those used in a work setting. Typical examples of defective products that a Virginia Beach product liability lawyer can help with are:
- Faulty tires or other auto parts
- Faulty wiring in electrical devices such as hair dryers or kitchen appliances
- Sports or household equipment that’s been poorly manufactured
- Dangerous toys or safety equipment for children like car seats or strollers
- Defective safety features like improperly designed roadside barriers
- Dangerous household chemicals and garden products
- Materials containing asbestos
- Infected foods or burns caused by overly hot drinks in restaurants
- Medical devices and healthcare equipment
- Consumer products that have been recalled
- Cars that catch fire or make injuries worse in simple crashes
- Industrial machinery without proper safety features
- Ladders or construction tools that fail in normal use
Dangerous drugs, such as pharmaceuticals with hazardous side effects and dangerous medical devices, are also covered by products liability. The responsibility of a company for the products it makes applies to almost anything that can be purchased.
Types of Product Liability Suites
A lawsuit for injuries sustained from using a purchased item can be based on three main factors:
- A defect in the product’s design — Perhaps the most common type of products liability lawsuit, design defects involve products with inherent flaws that make them unsafe to use. Recalls are often issued after a product is found to be defective in design and therefore potentially unsafe when used as intended.
- A defect in the product’s manufacture — An item that is adequately designed but poorly manufactured, making it unsafe, may also result in a products liability lawsuit. An example might be a toxic substance that is inadvertently included during the manufacturing process.
- A failure to warn of potential danger — A manufacturer can be found liable for your injuries if you were hurt as a result of a hidden danger that could have been prevented if you’d been adequately warned. Some prescription medicines are sold to doctors and the public with insufficient labeling to warn of risks for some patients.
If you were injured as a result of any of these product defects, you may be entitled to compensation. Our Virginia Beach product liability lawyers review every situation thoroughly to determine the cause of your injuries and ensure that you receive the legal recovery you need.
Examples of Defective Product Liability
- General Motors – In February 2014, it was revealed that several General Motors automobile models were manufactured with faulty ignition switches that could shut off the car’s engine during driving, disable its power steering and brakes, and stop airbags from inflating. Attorney Ken Feinberg was appointed by the carmaker to handle the GM compensation case. He linked the defects to 125 traffic deaths and 275 injuries.
- Takata Airbags – Many vehicle airbags manufacturered by Takata, a Japanese company, were found to explode on deployment, sending shrapnel into drivers and passengers. The defect triggered the largest recall in U.S. history – more than 34 vehicles of different makes – states the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The recall is linked to at least 16 deaths and more than 180 injuries.
- IKEA Dressers – The Swedish household store recalled many of its dressers and chests following 186 reports of Malm dressers tipping over. More than 90 of them resulted in injuries. IKEA is also dealing with 113 reports of other dressers tipping, 53 of them causing injuries. In all, eight children have lost their lives from dressers that tipped over since 1989, states IKEA.
- Philip Morris Tobacco Products – Philip Morris, now Altria Group, Inc., faced a lawsuit in 2002 from a woman diagnosed with lung cancer. She claimed smoking cigarettes caused the disease and her addiction to tobacco was caused by the company’s failure to warn her of the risks of smoking. The company was ordered to pay punitive damages of $28 billion as well as $850,000 in compensatory damages. The tobacco giant appealed the case and the amount was reduced to $28 million almost a decade later. More recently, the manufacturers of faulty electronic cigarettes have been sued for injuries such as burns.
Contacting a Virginia Beach Product Liability Lawyer
Under Virginia law, people have a right to expect products to be reasonably safe when used as intended. If you’ve been injured by a poorly made or designed product, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is focused on personal injury law in Virginia. We are based in Hampton Roads and have a main office in Norfolk and meeting locations in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk, Portsmouth and on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. We work with you to get you a recovery or settlement for your losses. To find out more about our legal services, contact our Virginia Beach defective products attorneys schedule an appointment for a free consultation or click here to start a live chat.