Virginia Beach Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
A wide variety of traumatic accidents can cause spinal cord injuries. In many cases, spinal cord injuries are suffered via trauma to the body in car accidents or train crashes, but they can also happen in slip and fall accidents. At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, our team of experienced Virginia Beach spinal cord injury attorneys fights zealously on your behalf for the compensation you are entitled to.
Devastating Effects of Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is made up of a bundle of nerves that run the length of your back, encased in the spinal column, which is made up of vertebrae, tiny bony discs. A spinal cord injury caused by a blow to the spine can fracture or dislocate vertebrae, sending bone fragments and disc material into spinal cord tissue, damaging it. Because the spinal cord carries signals to and from the brain, any spinal cord injury disrupts those signals and can result in loss of movement or paralysis. That paralysis may affect the lower extremities or the entire body from the neck down, depending on where the injury occurs. Spinal cord injuries do not affect only the area injured, unfortunately. They often lead to:
- Circulatory problems — Severed vessels are damaged due to lack of oxygen, compromising circulation.
- Difficulties breathing — Injuries to the upper part of the spinal cord damage nerve cells and often result in difficulty breathing, requiring respiratory support. Breathing problems also affect the entire body.
- Difficulties digesting food — Injuries to the spinal cord can also affect the digestive system, leading to weight loss and malnutrition.
- Loss of control over bodily functions — These deficits affect patients’ quality of life, robbing them of basic levels of dignity and independence.
Even a minor injury to the spinal cord can result in serious consequences that may never improve, even with medical treatment. Medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost income, home and life modifications, and other financial hardships can quickly pile up, affecting your entire family. If you have questions about spinal cord injuries, our Virginia Beach spinal cord injury attorneys can provide answers.
Tragic Events Resulting in Spinal Cord Injuries
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries are (in descending order):
- Motor vehicle accidents — Car and motorcycle accidents can crush your spinal cord, even when drivers and passengers take proper precautions such as using seat belts or wearing a helmet. Truck accidents, because of the sheer weight and force of the vehicles involved, cause some of the most severe injuries.
- Injuries at a business — A devastating fall on someone else’s premises can result in a broken spine or brain injury.
- Acts of violence — Gunshots, fights and other violent acts may have catastrophic results.
- Sports injuries — While the dangers of brain injury in contact sports are becoming more well known, the spinal cord and back remain extremely vulnerable areas for injury in many sports.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury caused by the fault of another person or company, our Virginia Beach spinal cord injury lawyers have both the tenacity and skill to seek the maximum compensation possible.
Consulting With a Virginia Beach Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one has sustained a spinal cord injury in an accident, contact a Virginia Beach spinal cord injury lawyer by calling today to schedule a free case evaluation. Our main office is in Norfolk and serves clients with spinal cord injuries throughout Hampton Roads, including Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and Newport News, as well as the rest of the Commonwealth. If travel is difficult, we can come to you, even in the hospital or rehabilitation center.