Hampton Roads Swelters – Five Tips to Beat the Heat
With temperatures reaching 95 in Norfolk today and a heat index in excess of 100, Virginia is seeing a mini heat wave.
Often residents are not aware of the dangers of high temperatures and how quickly dehydration can set in. Here are five tips to help you beat the heat:
- Avoid the Hottest Part of the Day – Avoid working out, traveling, sitting and walking about in the noonday sun whenever you can. It’s best to limit your sun exposure between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. each day during the summer. When you are outside during these times, retreat to shade as much as possible and avoid exerting yourself. Most importantly, drink plenty of water.
- Plan Ahead and Check the Weather – If you’re hiking in the Great Outdoors, you should study the map at the beginning of the day and calculate the best route, especially one that makes the most of shade where you can find it. Check the forecast before you leave.
- Dress Lightly and Wear a Hat – Lightweight, loose-fitting clothing will keep you cooler. A light color such as white reflects the heat and sunlight better. Shorts and short sleeved shirts are good choices, although a lightweight long sleeved shirt and pants are preferable if you’re hiking or working outdoors for any length of time, as this provides more protection against the UV rays. A hat is important to protect your head from sunburn and overheating.
- Stay Hydrated – Water is essential to keep you cool during hot weather. You should even drink it if you don’t feel thirsty. Drinks such as Powerade or Gatorade won’t be any better than water unless you need to deliberately replenish lost vitamins/electrolytes or energy following a sporting activity. Avoid alcohol and drinks with caffeine in them which can dehydrate you.
- Use a Fan – Whether hand-held or electric, fans can keep you cool by continuously circulating air in a building. And you can use portable battery-operated fans if you are outside.
Stay cool in the heat and don’t overexert yourself. If you are injured due to the fault of another call Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers at 757.455.0077