Child Drowned in a Swimming Pool in Suffolk
A tragic accident that claimed the life of a 3-year-old in a swimming pool in Hampton Roads again illustrates the dangers of open pools during the warmer months. Police said the child drowned in a swimming pool in Suffolk.
Suffolk Police said a three-year-old boy drowned on Thursday morning. First responders were notified of the incident just before 11:30 a.m. in the 2400 block of Box Elder Road in the Whaleyville area.
Investigators said the child wandered out of the home without family members realizing and was found in the backyard pool.
Our thoughts are with the family of the child at this tragic time. Members of the child’s family administered CPR until fire and rescue units arrived at the scene in a rural part of Suffolk.
Media reports stated medics continued emergency medical procedures while transporting the child to Sentara Obici Hospital. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The report of the child who drowned in a swimming pool in Suffolk again illustrates the dangers of pools. It’s not clear from reports whether the pool was unprotected or had barriers around it that the child managed to get through.
Children can drown in pools in a matter of minutes. These tragic accidents occur far more often than many people realize.
In 2016, we noted how a toddler drowned in a swimming pool on Old Ridge Road in Virginia Beach. The child wandered into a yard that held an above-ground pool. The City of Virginia Beach has a policy in place that requires pools in yards to be fenced.
Every year, about 400 children aged 14 or under die in swimming pool accidents. Approximately 2,700 emergency room incidents are linked to swimming pool accidents every year.
Many accidents occur in private pools but they also occur at apartment complexes, at sports centers, hotels, and other venues.
In some cases, a hotel or the owner or a manager of an apartment complex can be held liable for a death or injury in a swimming pool.
Although drowning is the most obvious danger in swimming pools, there are others. Swimmers have been injured by drains or fell on slippery areas at the sides of pools.
Last summer, Green Run Homes Association temporarily closed down the Clubhouse Pool after people reported they were shocked in the water during a party.
The association said swimmers cleared out of the pool immediately and lifeguards started assessing and caring for those affected until paramedics arrived.
If you are the owner of a pool, you should make sure it is fenced off and child-proof to prevent tragedies happening. Parents should keep their eyes on their children at the pool and not allow them to enter pools if they are unable to swim. The pool can be a great place to relax as the temperatures soar but exercise care, particularly if you have children.
Contact Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers at (757) 455-0077.