Can I Get Compensation for My Injuries if the Accident was Partly My Fault?
In order to achieve a successful outcome in a personal injury case, you must be able to prove that your injury was caused by the negligent actions of another. Unfortunately, the negligence laws in the state of Virginia are some of the strictest in the country. This makes it very difficult to receive compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.
Virginia adheres to contributory negligence laws which state that the victim can only receive compensation for damages if their actions did not contribute to the cause of the accident in any way. In other words, if you are deemed to be even 1% at fault and the other person was 99% at fault for the accident, you will be unable to receive compensation for your damages.
Clearly, these laws are rather harsh and unfair. In order to give your case the best chance of success, you will need to work with an experienced Virginia personal injury lawyer.
The attorneys at Cooper Hurley have more than 40 years of combined experience helping personal injury victims in the Virginia Beach area. We understand the impact Virginia’s contributory negligence laws will have on your claim, and we will work to build a case that demonstrates your actions in no way contributed to the cause of your accident.
Please contact Cooper Hurley today to schedule your free personal injury consultation. We serve clients in Virginia Beach, Virginia.