Virginia Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a Virginia bicycle accident at little to no fault of your own, you may be entitled to significant compensation from the at-fault party. The Virginia bike accident attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Let us put our experience to work for you. We can help you secure compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and more. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
On This Page
- Bicycle Accident Statistics
- Bicycling Laws in Virginia
- What Is the Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents?
- Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- Common Injuries Sustained in Bike Accidents
- Compensation Available in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
- What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
- Protecting Yourself If an Insurer Denies Your Claim
- How a Virginia Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help You
- Why Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
Unlike passengers in an enclosed car, bicyclists are exposed to the full force of oncoming vehicles in the event of an accident. This means they are more likely to suffer serious injuries. Blameless victims in bike accidents are entitled to compensation from the responsible party. Our legal team is here to help you secure the full and fair compensation you deserve.
While you focus on recovering from your bike accident injuries, let an experienced Virginia bicycle accident attorney at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers assist with your claim. We can help you secure compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more. Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
Bicycle accidents are more common than you may think. According to the CDC, bicycle accidents account for about 2 percent of deaths involving motor vehicles nationwide. Further, “nearly 1,000 bicyclists die and over 130,000 are injured in crashes that occur on roads in the United States every year.” The annual economic impact of these injuries and deaths, including spending on health care and lost work productivity, “typically exceed $23 billion.”
Virginia is not immune to the effect of these numbers. Whether you are biking through our state’s scenic landscapes or commuting across town, a bicycle accident can quickly turn a pleasant day into a disastrous one. According to the Virginia DMV, bicycle fatalities increased by 125 percent between 2022 and 2023.
Bicycling Laws in Virginia
Drivers sometimes wrongly assume their rights come before those of bicyclists. Under Virginia law, bicyclists and motorists share the same rights and responsibilities. Some of the laws we should all be aware of when it comes to bicycling include the following:
Again, we are all responsible for obeying the rules of the road. Both motorists and bicyclists should remember that failure to obey traffic safety laws may compromise their right to compensation in the event of an accident.
The personal injury attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers are ready to make sure you understand your full legal rights and options. Contact us today to learn more.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents?
The statute of limitations governing bike accident claims is two years from the date of injury. If someone dies as the result of a bike accident, their surviving loved ones also have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
Remember, the more time that passes after an accident, the more time there is for evidence to disappear and witness memories to fade. Further, failure to comply with the governing deadline almost always results in your case being dismissed in court. Though some exceptions to this rule exist, it is best to speak to an attorney as soon as possible in case they do not apply to your case.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Each personal injury case is unique, including those involving bicyclists. However, from car accidents to bicycle accidents, patterns do emerge. Some common causes of bicycle accidents include:
Common Injuries Sustained in Bike Accidents
Again, because of their complete exposure to the full force of a crash or collision, bicyclists are at a higher risk of suffering serious injuries in the event of an accident. Even a slow-moving vehicle can cause severe injuries or death when they crash into a bicyclist. Some of the most common cycling injuries we see include:
Compensation Available in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit
Bicyclists injured at little to no fault of their own are entitled to economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault party. Our legal team is ready to evaluate your case, gather all available evidence, and build the strongest possible claim for damages on your behalf. We can help you seek compensation for things like:
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
The steps you should take after a bicycle accident are similar to those you should take after a vehicle crash. Take the following steps if you are involved in a bike accident:
- Check for Injuries – Evaluate yourself and others involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone needs immediate medical attention, call an ambulance. Keep in mind that adrenaline spikes after an accident can mask symptoms, so you may not notice your injuries until after you leave the scene.
- Contact Law Enforcement – Virginia law requires drivers to report accidents they are involved in. Further, when police arrive at the scene, they will prepare an accident report, which will become an important source of evidence in your case.
- Document the Scene – If possible, use your phone to take photographs and videos of the scene. Document your injuries and damage to any of the vehicles involved. If there are traffic or surveillance cameras nearby, make sure you note their location.
- Exchange Information – Exchange contact information with everyone involved in the accident, including witnesses. Also, be sure to gather insurance information from other bicyclists and drivers.
- Seek Medical Attention – If you are injured in a bicycle accident, do not wait to seek medical attention. In addition to providing treatment, your doctor will also document everything in your medical treatment and billing records. These documents will become a key source of evidence in your bicycle accident claim.
- Avoid Posting Online – Avoid discussing the details of the accident online. Anything you post can be used by insurers to diminish the value of your claim or deny it altogether.
- Be Careful With Insurers – Be very careful when speaking to insurance adjusters after an accident. Their job is to save their company money by denying as many claims as possible. Therefore, it is best to let your attorney do the talking.
Protecting Yourself If an Insurer Denies Your Claim
The best way to protect yourself from unscrupulous insurers eager to deny your claim is by consulting with an attorney as soon as possible after your accident. If your claim is denied, you should still consult with an attorney to make sure you are not being taken advantage of. Our attorneys have years of experience dealing with auto insurance companies and can help ensure you’re not taken advantage fo.
How a Virginia Bike Accident Lawyer Can Help You
In the aftermath of an accident, many people do not know where to turn. Sometimes, they try to handle everything themselves, including negotiating a settlement with insurers. However, it is prudent to consult with an attorney before stepping into this kind of negotiation. Again, this will ensure that you know your full legal rights and options.
Our experienced Virginia bicycle accident attorneys are standing by to review your case and gather all available evidence, including the police report, witness statements, videos from the crash scene, and medical records. We can then put together the strongest claim possible on your behalf.
There is no downside to having your case evaluated by one of our attorneys in a free, no-obligation consultation. Remember, you pay nothing unless we win your case.
Why Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
The attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers are the Car Crash Experts in and around Hampton Roads. Our all-star team of personal injury lawyers proudly fights for the rights of injury victims throughout our state. In our decades of practice, we have won some of the largest personal injury verdicts and settlements in the state, including:
Let us put our experience to work for you. Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation with a skilled Virginia bicycle accident lawyer. We have locations throughout Hampton Roads: Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, the Eastern Shore, Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, and Suffolk.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.