Truck FAQs

Providing information for those injured in a major accident
When a commercial truck hits your car, injuring you or a loved one, you may not know where to turn or what to do. Our well-versed accident attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers are available around the clock to answer your questions and provide legal support. We handle trucking accidents every day and can help you seek compensation after an accident with a tractor-trailer in Norfolk, Virginia Beach or the surrounding area.

What is the first step after an accident occurs?
When you’ve been in an accident with a truck, call 911 immediately. Whether or not you see any injuries, any crash with such a large and powerful vehicle can cause serious injuries.

What information do I need to get?
If you have been in an accident, make sure that you get all the information you need at the accident scene. If you are unable to manage this yourself, seek help from someone nearby — even those who stop to help — who can:

  • Get all drivers’ names and contact information
  • Get the insurance information of all parties
  • Get the trucking company’s information (if applicable)
  • Take pictures of the accident scene, or ask someone to take them on their cellphone
  • Get a copy of the preliminary police report

How soon after an accident should I call a lawyer?
If possible, you should call an injury attorney before you call your insurance agent or an agent for the trucking company. We can speak with claims agents on your behalf and make sure you don’t offer information that could make it harder for you to get your rightful compensation later on.

I don’t have health insurance. Should I still go to the doctor?
Yes! Go to the closest emergency room. A doctor may need to evaluate you to check for injuries to the back or internal organs or to do a concussion test. Medical costs associated with an accident that is not your fault will likely be covered by vehicle insurance for the at-fault trucker. And any injuries you suffer need to be documented as soon as possible.

Why should I call a lawyer?
Even if you only sustained what seem to be minor injuries at the time, your injuries may affect your future ability to work, and you need a lawyer to ensure you get full compensation, including lost wages.

Where can I get more information?
The attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers have a wealth of resources for you. In addition to our books on accidents, we take time to carefully explain why you need an attorney and what we can do to get you compensation after a life-threatening accident. Call us at 757.455.0077 day or night or contact us online to make an appointment to speak with our informative and results-oriented team.

Call (757) 455-0077 to request a free consultation