Chesapeake Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Spinal cord injuries are devastating, with lifelong effects. They usually result from significant accidents or trauma. Often, these injuries are caused by the carelessness or neglect of others. The Chesapeake spinal cord injury lawyers at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements for victims’ medical bills, lost wages, physical pain, and emotional suffering caused by spinal cord injuries. Let our skilled legal team help you hold the responsible persons accountable by pursuing the maximum compensation you deserve.
On This Page
- Why Should I Hire a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
- Damages You Can Recover After a Spinal Cord Injury
- What Are the Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
- How a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Can Help You
- What Is the Statute of Limitations for Spinal Cord Injury Cases in Virginia?
- Let Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers in Chesapeake Fight for You
There are about 17,000 cases of spinal cord injuries in the United States each year. A spinal cord injury occurs when the nerve endings of the spinal canal, also known as the spinal cord, are damaged. Many factors, including trauma, medical illnesses, infections, electrocutions, and improper surgical procedures, can cause an injury to the spinal cord. The impact of a spinal cord injury can range from mild numbness and tingling sensations to lifetime loss of motor function and even death.
Whether your injury occurred due to a car accident or a slip and fall on a property, you deserve compensation for your pain. The Chesapeake spinal cord injury attorneys from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers are ready to analyze your circumstances and offer the best legal advice. We will relieve you of the stress of dealing with insurance companies so you can focus on healing. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about how we can help you.
Why Should I Hire a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer From Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers?
When pursuing compensation for a spinal cord injury, it’s best to work with an attorney specializing in complicated personal injury claims. More importantly, ensure they have handled and won several spinal cord injury cases in the past before hiring.
The attorneys at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers focus all our resources on fighting for justice for those injured by other people’s negligence. Founding partner John Cooper has fought for injured victims and their families for over 30 years. Our attorneys have over 120 years of combined experience settling personal injury claims with insurance companies and through trials. We advocate for spinal cord injury victims by helping them navigate the complex legal process and pursuing the full compensation they deserve.
Examples of past spinal cord and other injury cases we’ve handled and won include:
- $6,500,000 for a multi-car accident victim who suffered quadriplegia
- $6,000,000 for a veteran who suffered paraplegia from a fall
- $2,860,000 for a highway worker injured by a drunk driver
- $1,500,000 for a mother and daughter injured in a T-bone car accident
The choice of your lawyer after suffering a spinal cord injury will have a big impact on whether you win the case and how much you receive as a result. Choose the skilled Chesapeake personal injury lawyers from Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers for compassionate care and extraordinary results.
Damages You Can Recover After a Spinal Cord Injury
According to medical experts, the impact of a spinal cord injury on your life depends on the area affected and whether the injury is complete or incomplete. This type of injury can cause mild or permanent loss of sensory and motor functions below the affected areas, including paralysis. This further affects other bodily functions, with symptoms such as loss of bladder or bowel control, immobility, spasms, poor coordination, and loss of sexual sensitivity.
At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, we take pride in our case results and the satisfaction of changing the lives of injury victims. We possess the resources and expertise to take on large insurance companies and recover some or all of the following damages in a spinal cord injury claim:
- Economic damages: Accident losses that have a monetary value, such as medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, purchasing assistive devices, and property damage
- Non-economic damages: Intangible losses that affect an injury victim, such as mental suffering, physical pain, inability to enjoy certain activities, and loss of consortium
- Punitive damages: Damages awarded to punish the defendant’s actions if they’re egregious, malicious, or intentional
What Are the Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
Determining the cause of your injury will help you identify the responsible parties and prove liability for their negligent acts. An attorney revisits the scene and reconstructs the accident to gather as much evidence as possible.
The most common causes of spinal cord injuries that occur from the lack of reasonable care by someone else include:
How a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Can Help You
Besides the financial expenses you’re likely to incur when treating your injuries and adapting to a new life, a spinal cord injury can also hurt your social and mental well-being. Having a lawyer to help you pursue compensation from the negligent party or business will increase the chances of getting an amount that takes care of all these damages.
Although every case is unique, here are some of the common ways a spinal cord injury lawyer in Chesapeake will help you:
- Gather information from your account of events
- Investigate and collect evidence from the accident scene, eyewitnesses, and expert witnesses
- Evaluate the total amount of compensation to cover all your current and future damages
- File the necessary paperwork while adhering to deadlines
- Build a solid legal strategy to get the desired case outcome
- Handle insurance companies, including communication and negotiating maximum compensation for you
- Anticipate possible defenses from the insurer and prepare counterarguments
- Counsel you on your legal options and important things you need to know so you’re making informed decisions
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company is not willing to settle your claim for a fair amount
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Spinal Cord Injury Cases in Virginia?
A statute of limitations outlines the amount of time you have to initiate legal action after an injury. When this period elapses, the court will likely bar any attempt to seek compensation or make criminal charges.
Under Virginia Code §8.01-243, you have only two years to file a civil claim or lawsuit after suffering a spinal cord injury. This period begins from the day of the incident or, in some cases, when you discover the injury.
While this time seems like a lot to prepare for the legal process, it’s crucial not to wait too long before notifying the other party of your intention to sue. Filing a claim as soon as possible preserves critical evidence and gives your Chesapeake spinal cord injury lawyer enough time to prepare a successful case.
Let Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers in Chesapeake Fight for You
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury, speak with Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers to determine whether you’re eligible for compensation and who’s responsible for your pain. Our team has a thorough understanding of Virginia’s injury law and extensive experience getting compensation for victims of negligence. We keep you informed every step of the way so that you make the right decisions about your case.
Schedule a free case evaluation with one of our Chesapeake spinal cord injury attorneys to learn more about your options. We have numerous locations in cities in Hampton Roads and on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Our attorneys can also visit you in a hospital room or at home for the consultation. Call (757) 333-3333 or complete our online form to get started today.
Find Out What Your
Case is Worth
Get a free copy of “The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries”
Learn what to do after an accident, how to deal with insurance agencies, and when to get help. Download your free copy of The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents & Injuries.