Driver is Charged Over a Collision with a Tide Train in Norfolk
Vehicles and Tide light rail trains come into close contact in Norfolk. Earlier today a car was involved in a collision with a Tide train in Norfolk.
The Virginian-Pilot reported a driver was charged after his car hit a Tide light rail train Friday afternoon.
Police report the collision with a Tide train in Norfolk occurred shortly before 2:15 p.m. on Main Street behind City Hall. Norfolk police said a driver with an 11-year-old child in his car, was attempting to turn left and turned directly in front of a train.
Hampton Roads Transit spokesman Tom Holden said the train was heading westbound. Eight passengers were reported to be on the train at the time of the impact. No injuries were reported.
The driver was later charged with disregarding a highway sign, according to police.
The Tide train was damaged on its right front side. It was taken to the yard to be inspected. No damage was reported on the train.
The Pilot report quoted Latonya Spates, who was sitting near the back of the train when it crashed. She reported hearing a thump.
The collision between a car and a Tide train in Norfolk highlights the dangers downtown close to the offices of Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers where drivers need to be aware of approaching trains when they are making turns. Thankfully, no serious injuries were reported in this latest incident.
The Tide has been operating for about seven years. Despite initial fears, few accidents have occurred in Norfolk.
However, in 2015, a pedestrian was hit by a train outside the Civic Plaza Station on Union Street.
Hampton Roads Transit officials later cleared the train operator of any wrongdoing.
However, a subsequent report noted a potential issue in which a second train created a temporary blind spot for pedestrians.
The pedestrian was lucky to escape the incident with non-life-threatening injuries.
Collision with a Tide Train in Norfolk Highlights Need for Safety Advice
Today’s collision with a Tide train in Norfolk highlights why drivers and pedestrians must be aware of the dangers posed by light rail in Norfolk. Here are some safety tips.
Here are some Tide Safety Tips
- Only cross the tracks at designated crosswalks. Cross the tracks quickly and don’t linger
- Always look both ways before crossing. Never cross or try to get across the lines before an approaching train or between two trains that are not moving. If a departing train blocks your view, be sure it is out of sight before you try to cross.
- If you are driving, use caution when sharing the road with trains. Be attentive to changing traffic patterns and follow the roadway.
- When you are turning left across the tracks make sure no trains are coming. Never cross when the signals warn of an approaching train.
- Don’t use headphones or be distracted by other devices when you are around trains.
- Always listen for warning bells and the sounds of an approaching train.
Find out more about train crashes on our website. If you have been injured in a Norfolk light rail accident, please call Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers at (757) 455-0077.