DOs and DON’Ts After a Car Accident
A car accident can change your life in a matter of seconds. One moment, you may be stuck in the middle of daily traffic, while in the next moment you’re reeling from a sudden impact. The aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, making it easy to forget the important steps you need to take in order to protect yourself – both legally and physically.
Below are a few essential DOs and DON’Ts to remember if you are involved in a car accident:
- Call 911 – Even if nobody seems to be seriously injured, every accident victim should be examined by a medical professional, and the police should document the accident scene.
- Gather contact information – Get the names, license information, phone numbers, and addresses of all drivers who were involved in the accident, regardless of who you believe is at fault. Also, gather basic contact information for any witnesses at the scene.
- Take photos – Pictures are valuable evidence in a personal injury claim. Be sure to include vehicle damage, obvious injuries, road conditions, and environmental factors that might have contributed to the accident.
- Leave the scene – If you leave the scene of the accident before providing your contact information to the other drivers involved, you may be guilty of a “hit-and-run” accident, which is considered a criminal act.
- Move injured people – Wait for qualified physicians to arrive at the scene before moving any injured parties.
- Admit fault – Do not apologize for the accident or admit fault in any way. Statements that you make at the scene of the accident can be held against you, and you do not yet have all the facts about what caused the accident.
- Sign anything – Other than the police report, do not sign any document that is presented to you at the accident scene.
If you have been injured in a car accident in the Norfolk or Virginia Beach areas of Virginia, our experienced Norfolk car accident attorneys can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Please call us at (757) 333-3333 or email Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with John Cooper or Jim Hurley.